The rated capacity for RS-1SG Cartridges is ~ 4000 litres (1000 gallons). "Structured Matrix" Cartridges should be replaced, however, when flow rate decreases or when foul tastes and odours becom apparent (evidence of extra heavy loading of suffur, tannin, iron or other contamination), or annually otherwise.
Installing a Cartridge is accomplished as follows:
- Shut off the water supply to the Seagull IV Unit.
- Turn the special faucet handle to full flow positions and keep it in this position until Cartridge is installed and operating.
- Remove Pressure Vessel from mounting bracket, place over a large saucepan or other container, remove V-clamp and drain loose water from Pressure Vessel. (If Pressure Vessel halves remain attached due to "set", pull apart manually or momentarily allow a small amount of water to flow into the Unit with the special Faucet closed to separate the halves).
- Remove expended Cartridge by placing a plastic bag over it and turning counterclockwise. Close bag and discard. Rinse inside of Pressure Vessel with water and wipe clean with paper towel. Be sure thick white rubber seal is bonded in place inside the top of the Unit.
- Remove the small white protective cover from your new cartridge by pulling the tab end up (fig. 1)
Thread new Cartridge into place (fig 2) UNTIL CONTACT IS FIRST MADE WITH SEAL, THEN TIGHTEN ONE QUARTER TURN ONLY - DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN.
Centre carefully and be careful not to cross-thread.
- Assemble the two stainless steel halves together making sure the rubber gasket is in place (fig 3) IMPORTANT: Make sure gasket is not cut or nicked and be sure housing has not been dropped or dented on either of the two mating halves.
- Next place the V-clamp around the middle of the Unit to secure the two halves together (fig 4). (Keep Seagull IV logo upright.) Hand tighten black plastic nut to a good snug fit. Do Not Use Tools.
- With special faucet open, slowly open supply line valve and allow air to exhaust from unit. Check carefully for leaks and allow water to flow at full rate for 3 minutes to rinse loose materials from cartridgem exhaust air and stabilise the flow... then enjoy delicious, sparkling fresh drinking water.
(Please note that you may see entrapped air bubble in your water for the first few days.)